- How long have you been doing your job?
- What do you enjoy most about your job?
- Is there anything you find difficult about your job?
- Would you like to do a different job in the future?
- Did you always want to do this job when you were growing up?
- Where would be your ideal place to work?
- What subject(s) are you studying / did you study at university?
- Is it a difficult subject to study?
- Why did you choose this subject?
- What’s the most interesting aspect of your subject?
- What do you plan to do when you finish studying?
- Is there anything else you would like to study in the future
Your hometown or city
- Did you grow up in a small town or a big city?
- Was it a good place to grow up?
- What do you like most about your hometown / city.
- What do most people do for work in your hometown / city?
- Is your hometown / city famous for anything or have any special features?
- Does it attract tourists from other parts of your country?
- Do you live in a house or a flat? Can you describe it?
- How long have you lived in your house / flat?
- Do you have good neighbours where you live?
- What do you particularly like about your home?
- What is your favourite room in your house / flat?
- Is there anything you’d like to improve or change about your home?
- What would be your ideal home?
- Do you have / come from a small or large family?
- How much time do you spend with your family?
- What do you enjoy doing most with your family?
- Do you prefer to go out with family or friends?
- When did you last celebrate a special event with your family?
- Who are you most similar to in your family
- Do you have a small or large circle of friends?
- Where do you usually meet your friends?
- What kind of things do you like doing together?
- Do you still keep in touch with your childhood friends?
- How important is it to have a best friend?
- What makes a good friend?
Your hobbies and interests
- How much free time do you have?
- What kind of things do you like doing in your free time?
- Do you have enough time to do all the things you enjoy?
- Do you prefer to spend your free time alone or with other people?
- Do you think people have enough free time these days?
- Have you got the same interests now that you had when you were a child?
- How have your interests changed as you've got older?
- If you could take up a new hobby, what would it be?
- Do you have any exciting plans for next weekend?
- Are there many public or national holidays in your country?
- How do you usually celebrate these special days?
- Do you like to travel abroad when you have a longer holiday?
- How do you prefer to travel when you go on long journeys?
- Where did you go on your last holiday?
- Do you always like to go to the same place or try different places?
- What is the most interesting place you’ve ever visited on holiday?
- What would be your ideal holiday?
Your health + fitness
- What do you usually do to try and stay healthy?
- Is it easy to keep fit where you live?
- What do you think is more important, eating healthily or doing exercise?
- What are the benefits of doing regular exercise
- Have you ever played any team sports?
- Is there any sport that you would like to try in the future?
- Which sports are most popular in your country?
Your cultural activities
- Do you enjoy listening to music in your free time?
- What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?
- Did you learn to play a musical instrument when you were at school?
- Have you ever sung in a choir?
- Have you ever been to a live concert?
- Have you ever taken classes to learn how to dance?
- Does your country have a traditional type of music or dance?
- Do you enjoy going to museums or art exhibitions?
- What kind of museums do you like to visit?
- Did you like art classes when you were at school?
- When was the last time you went to the cinema or theatre?
- Have you seen a good film or play recently?
- How much time do you spend watching TV at home?
- Who do you usually watch TV with?
- What kind of programmes do you enjoy watching?
- Do you have a favourite TV show or series at the moment?
- Do you prefer watching films at home or at the cinema?
- Has your taste in films changed as you've got older?
- Do you like watching films from other countries?
- Do you prefer to watch foreign films in their original language or in your own language?
- Do you like reading in your spare time?
- How often do you read a newspaper
- What kind of things do you usually read?
- Do you have a favourite time of day for reading?
- Have you got a favourite author?
- Have you ever read a novel in English?
- Which languages do you speak?
- Do you think it’s important to learn a foreign language?
- When did you start learning a foreign language?
- Do you think that was a good age to start?
- What activity do you find most useful for learning English?
- What do you find most difficult about learning English?
- Do you think your native language would be easy for foreigners to learn
- Are there any other languages you would like to learn in the future?
Your country and climate
- Where do most people live in your country
- What are the main industries in your country
- What is the climate like in your country?
- Are there any problems with the climate in your country?
- What is your favourite season / type of weather?
- Would you prefer to live in a hot or cold country?