Part 1 – sample questions
- Are there many public or national holidays in your country?
- Do you think there are enough public holidays?
- Do you like going away on holidays?
- Tell me something about your last holiday?
- Do you always like to go to the same place for your holiday?
- Where would you like to go for your next holiday?
Part 2 – sample task card
Describe a holiday you would like to go on.
You should say:
- what place you would like to go to
- how you would like to get there
- what you would like to do while you were there
and explain why you would like to go on this holiday.
Part 3 – sample questions
- Which places in your country do visitors enjoy visiting most?
- What are some of the benefits of going away on holiday?
- Have there been any recent changes in the types of holiday that are popular in your country?
- What kinds of benefits might a significant increase in tourist numbers bring to a location?
- What are some of the negative effects of a dramatic increase in tourism?
- What developments affecting international travel might there be in the future?
Personal benefits of going on holiday
- a chance to unwind
- to spend quality time with family / friends
- to get away from work / stressful environment
- to have a change of routine / scenery
- to visit new places / experience new things / cultures
- to broaden your horizons
- to visit family or friends abroad
Commercial benefits of tourism
- creates new jobs in the tourist industry
- boosts the local economy
- attracts media attention to the resort
- 'puts a place on the map'
- ensures good level of infrastructure
- improves services & facilities for local residents
- provides revenue to protect /maintain local heritage
Negative aspects of going on holiday
- loss of earnings (if self-employed)
- can be stressful (to be out of your comfort zone)
- can be difficult to cope in a foreign country / unfamiliar place
- may encounter travel problems (plane/train delays / traffic jams)
- may not have access to health facilities/services
- may lose your luggage
- may not be able to speak the local language
Disadvantages for local community
- can cause overcrowding
- tourists may not respect local customs/traditions
- can cause excess of litter / noise
- may cause damage to local environment / possible vandalism
- area becomes too built-up due to increase of hotels/shops etc
- natural landscape/beauty may be spoilt
- may cause increase in prices of local services and goods
Useful linkers for adding more ideas
- in addition (to that)
- apart from (that)
- as well as (that)
- besides (that)
- not only (that) … but also
- both … and …
What are some of the benefits of going away on holiday?
There are many benefits of going on holiday. Besides giving you a chance to unwind and relax, it also allows you to spend some quality time with your family, not only in a different environment but more importantly, away from the routine pressures of work and daily life. In addition to this, it also gives you the opportunity to broaden your horizons by visiting new places and experiencing a different way of life.