Part 1 – sample questions
- Which form(s) of transport do you usually use?
- What is the easiest way to get around your town/city?
- Do people use public transport where you live?
- Are there any problems with the public transport system in your town/city?
- How do you prefer to travel on long journeys?
- What is the most unusual method of transport you've ever used?
Part 2 – sample task card
Describe an interesting journey you have been on.
You should say:
- where you went
- how you travelled there
- who you went with
and explain what was so memorable about the journey.
Part 3 – sample questions
- What methods of transport are most popular in your city / country?
- What are some of the problems of long-distance travelling?
- Has the way people travel changed much in the last few decades?
- Do you agree that governments should do more to encourage greener methods of transport?
- What measures could be taken to reduce problems of congestion in cities?
- Do you think that transport problems are worse in urban or rural areas?
Typical methods of transport in cities
- to take/catch the metro / underground / subway
- to take/catch a tram
- to take/catch a bus
- to take/catch a taxi
- to go by car
- to go by motorbike/scooter/moped
- to go by bike/bicycle / to cycle
- to go on foot / to walk
Other methods of transport
- to go by plane / to take/catch a flight
- to go by / to take/catch a train
- to go by / to take a coach
- to go by / to take/catch a boat/ferry
- long delays = my flight/plane was delayed
- cancellations = my flight was cancelled
- to lose your luggage
- to miss your connection
- to be stuck in traffic-jams / traffic congestion
- to be held up by roadworks / diversions / accidents
- to break down = my car broke down
- bad weather conditions
- thick fog / icy roads / heavy rain / strong winds / heavy storm
Solutions to inner-city congestion
- road access charges in city centres
- car share schemes / incentives
- bypasses / ringroads
- park and ride schemes
- free rental of city bikes
- more cycle lanes
- more frequent buses / extended network of buses
- cheaper public transport
- more pedestrianised streets
- more electric trams
- more accessible metro system
Useful linkers for giving examples
- for example
- for instance
- such as
- like / as
- another example / way is
What measures could be taken to reduce problems of congestion in cities?
There are many ways that congestion could be reduced in big cities. In my city, for example, they have introduced a bike rental system where members can pick up a bike at one point and drop it off at another. It’s proving to be very popular and as a result more cycle lanes are also being provided.
Another example, which unfortunately doesn’t exist in my city, is a park and ride scheme where you leave your car outside the city in a carpark and then take a free bus into the centre. Another way to prevent people bringing their cars into the city would be to charge a special fee to access the centre, like they do in London, though I guess this wouldn’t be quite so popular with the residents.