Listening Section 2: Travel
Section 2: Questions 11 to 20
Questions 11 to 18
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
11. What did the speaker’s friend say about his volunteering and travel experience?
- He felt part of the community he visited.
- It was a cheap way to travel a long distance.
- The training he received on the trip was very useful.
12. The recent survey shows that increasingly travellers want
- to avoid standard tourist destinations.
- to have more contact with local people.
- to feel that they can contribute something.
13. What does the speaker recommend in a ‘voluntouring’ trip?
- combining different activities
- learning the language before you go
- making sure the climate suits you
14.The speaker says you should think about your interests and
- how long the trip will last
- who else will go on the same trip
- what skills you can offer on the trip
15. The speaker says an important benefit of 'voluntourism' for the traveller is
- learning about local customs
- being looked after by local people
- travelling by local transport
16. The speaker recommends getting a business to sponsor your 'voluntourism' trip
- because it saves money which you can donate to local people
- because local people will take you more seriously
- because businesses are interested in local markets.
17. Why does the speaker say trips that combine work and holidays are a good idea?
- They encourage travellers to go back to the places they visit
- They mean travellers visit places they would not otherwise
- They reduce the damage travellers cause to the environment
18. What criticism was made in a recent newspaper article about 'voluntourism'?
- The trips are too short to provide meaningful experiences.
- People only go on the trips because it is fashionable at present
- None of the money volunteers pay reaches the local communities
Questions 19 and 20
For each question 19 and 20, choose TWO letters, A-F
19. Which TWO things should you check when researching possible ‘voluntourism’ trips?
- the size of the group of volunteers
- what qualifications are needed
- how long the scheme has been running
- the history of the country
- who your family can contact
- what insurance cover is included
20. Which TWO things should you always take on any ‘voluntourism’ trip?
- medical supplies
- credit card